Every day, colleges and universities throughout the country, face the challenge of promoting personal responsibility while striving to make their campuses as safe as possible. Efforts to make campuses as safe as possible include adopting and implementing effective steps to address sexual violence, end its reoccurrence and address its effects.
Join our panel of attorneys including, a current deputy assistant secretary for the U.S. Department of Education, a former university in-house counsel and a former sex crimes prosecutor from the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office who counsels universities on the implementations of Title IX and who was also hired by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia to conduct a review of cases and internal procedures following a grand jury indictment of several priests accused of sexual abuse, for a discussion on the legal requirements and best practices for addressing sexual violence on campus. This webinar focuses on practical mechanisms to investigate and promptly resolve allegations of sexual violence and prevent its reoccurrence in accordance with Title IX and the Department of Education's April 4, 2011 "Dear Colleague" letter.
Issues our panel discuss include:
* developing a formal policy to address sexual violence
* implementing internal operating procedures informed by the dynamics of sexual misconduct
* training public safety officers, staff and administrators on investigative techniques and conducting the hearing process
* balancing the rights of victims and the accused
* providing victim support and counseling
* fielding press and communication inquiries
* integrating FERPA and Clery Act considerations
* coordinating with local law enforcement authorities
* employing strategies to prevent the reoccurrence of sexual violence and address its effects.
Firefox recommends the PDF Plugin for Mac OS X for viewing PDF documents in your browser.
We can also show you Legal Updates using the Google Viewer; however, you will need to be logged into Google Docs to view them.
Please choose one of the above to proceed!
LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.
Topics: Clery Act, Colleges, Due Process, FERPA, Investigations, OCR, Safety Precautions, Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, Title IX, Training, Universities, Voluntary Resolution Agreements
Published In: Education Updates, Personal Injury Updates
DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.
© Pepper Hamilton LLP | Attorney Advertising