In This Issue:
- Modifications Related to the Use and Disclosure of PHI for Marketing Purposes
- Modifications Related to the Use and Disclosure of PHI for Research Purposes
..Compound Authorizations Permitted
..Authorizations for Future Research Permitted
- Modifications Related to the Use of PHI for Fundraising Purposes
..Opportunity to Opt-Out of Communications
..Expanded Types of PHI Permissibly Used For Fundraising Communications
- The Prohibition on the Sale of PHI
- Other Modifications to the Privacy Rule Related to the Use and Disclosure of PHI
..Use and Disclosure of a Decedent’s PHI
..Disclosure of Immunization Records to Schools
- Excerpt from Modifications Related to the Use and Disclosure of PHI for Marketing
The Final Rule modified how PHI is permitted to be used by a Covered Entity or a Business Associate for marketing purposes, mainly by modifying the definition of the types of activities that constitute “marketing” for purposes of HIPAA.
Please see full Alert below for more information.
Firefox recommends the PDF Plugin for Mac OS X for viewing PDF documents in your browser.
We can also show you Legal Updates using the Google Viewer; however, you will need to be logged into Google Docs to view them.
Please choose one of the above to proceed!
LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.
Topics: Business Associates, Covered Entities, Fundraisers, HHS, HIPAA Omnibus Rule, Marketing, PHI
Published In: Health Updates, Privacy Updates, Science, Computers & Technology Updates
DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.
© Polsinelli | Attorney Advertising