Visitor B-1/B-2 VISAS

B-1/B-2 visas are the most common nonimmigrant visas used for temporary entry into the United States. B-1 visas are typically used for business-related visits while B-2 visas are used for pleasure-related visits. With few exceptions, those who enter the U.S. must be in possession of a visa granted by a U.S. consulate abroad.

A visa merely permits one to apply for entry at a U.S. port of entry; it does not guarantee entrance. Immigration officials at the ports of entry determine whether a foreign national can enter the U.S. on the visa, and will set a definite period of time in which that person is authorized to remain in the U.S. (usually six months for those visiting for pleasure and 30-60 days for business visitors). The date by which one must depart from the U.S. is stamped on a document known as an "I-94 card". The time restriction applies even to foreign nationals who possess multiple-entry visas.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

Written by:

Published In:

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© NPZ Law Group, P.C. (f/k/a Nachman & Associates, P.C.) | Attorney Advertising

Don't miss a thing! Build a custom news brief:

Read fresh new writing on compliance, cybersecurity, Dodd-Frank, whistleblowers, social media, hiring & firing, patent reform, the NLRB, Obamacare, the SEC…

…or whatever matters the most to you. Follow authors, firms, and topics on JD Supra.

Create your news brief now - it's free and easy »

All the intelligence you need, in one easy email:

Great! Your first step to building an email digest of JD Supra authors and topics. Log in with LinkedIn so we can start sending your digest...

Sign up for your custom alerts now, using LinkedIn ›

* With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name.