1099-A Reporting Requirements May Apply to You


Most creditors are aware that a Form 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt, must be filed with the IRS upon a cancellation of debt. However, many creditors are unaware that a Form 1099-A, Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property, must be filed after foreclosures and certain repossessions even when the deficiency “stays alive” and no cancellation of debt has occurred.

The 1099-A reporting requirements apply to any party who lends money in connection with its trade or business. The IRS casts a much wider net with the 1099-A than it does with the 1099-C, and many creditors who are not subject to the 1099-C requirements will still have to file a 1099-A. Even if you are not in the business of lending money, you may be required to file a 1099-A if you, in full or partial satisfaction of a debt, acquire an interest in property that is security for a debt.

Please see full article below for more information.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Poyner Spruill LLP | Attorney Advertising

Written by:


Poyner Spruill LLP on:

Popular Topics
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:

Sign up to create your digest using LinkedIn*

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.

Already signed up? Log in here

*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.