Applying Illinois laws to out-of-state Flight Attendant Workers’ Compensation Claims

Katz, Friedman lawyers represent many flight attendants in cases involving workers’ compensation issues. An injured employee can file a claim in Illinois if they are (1) injured in the State of Illinois or (2) their contract for hire was within the State of Illinois. As the location of the contract for hire for ALL United Flight Attendants and the location of an American Airlines domicile is located in Chicago, the Illinois Worker’s Compensation Act applies to numerous claims of Flight Attendants. The very nature of a flight attendant’s job is travel and, as a result, flight attendants are frequently injured outside of Illinois, even though Illinois law applies. An injured person will typically seek immediate care or care close to home which will typically be with a doctor outside Illinois. These doctors are unfamiliar with Illinois’ workers’ compensation laws.

Please see full article below for more information.

LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Katz, Friedman, Eagle, Eisenstein, Johnson & Bareck | Attorney Advertising

Written by:


Katz, Friedman, Eagle, Eisenstein, Johnson & Bareck on:

JD Supra Readers' Choice 2016 Awards
Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:

Sign up to create your digest using LinkedIn*

*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.

Already signed up? Log in here

*With LinkedIn, you don't need to create a separate login to manage your free JD Supra account, and we can make suggestions based on your needs and interests. We will not post anything on LinkedIn in your name. Or, sign up using your email address.