Davis Wright Tremaine is a national business and litigation law firm representing businesses based throughout the United States and around the world.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP was founded in Seattle in 1908 on a simple guiding principle – to provide clients with quality legal services in a manner that would exceed their expectations. This principle has remained intact for decades as the Seattle office continued to grow and as we began to expand our reach across the nation. By the end of the 1980s, the firm had well-established offices in Anchorage, Bellevue (Wash.), Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
In 1990, we further cemented ourselves in the Northwest by merging with the well-known Portland (Ore.) law firm of Ragen, Tremaine, Krieger, Schmeer & Neill, and embarked on a program of geographic expansion nationally and internationally. In 1993, we became the first U.S. law firm authorized to establish an office in Shanghai, China, and we joined with the highly regarded communications law firm of Lankenau Kovner & Outten to establish a New York City office in 1998.
In 2007, we bolstered our already strong communications, media and technology practices by merging with the Washington, D.C.-based firm of Cole, Raywid & Braverman. Late in 2008, Davis Wright Tremaine further improved its position in the market by welcoming more than 20 attorneys from the former Heller Ehrman LLP.
Our team currently includes more than 500 attorneys covering a wide variety of practice areas.
Honors and Awards
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you’ll have a chance to work with outstanding attorneys who are frequently recognized by their peers, the media and the industries they serve. This list is just a representative sample of the honors we have received.
*Davis Wright Tremaine was named “Law Firm of the Year” in Communications Law by U.S. News/Best Lawyers in 2012.
* The firm was ranked in the top tier of law firms in the United States in ten practice areas in 2012.
*Davis Wright Tremaine was the recipient of the 2012 James Madison Award by the Washington Coalition for Open Government.
* 89 attorneys across 32 practice areas were recognized as leaders in their fields by Chambers USA in 2012.
* “As close to perfect as a law firm can be" is how one of our clients described Davis Wright Tremaine in Chambers USA's 2009 ranking of labor and employment practices in Washington. Davis Wright Tremaine's was the only such practice ranked in Chambers' highest tier in 2009.
* Managing IP, a leading international magazine for intellectual property owners, recognized Davis Wright Tremaine as the “Copyright Firm of the Year” for the United States Western Region in 2008 and 2009.
* In 2007, Chambers USA named our media law practice group the winner of its “Chambers USA Awards for Excellence” in media law.
* Portland Business Journal named firmwide managing partner Dave Baca as “CEO of the Year” in the professional services category in 2009. Davis Wright Tremaine was also named one of the most admired professional services firms in the region. Lawdragon named Baca one of the “100 Managing Partners You Need to Know” in 2008.
* Portland office managing partner Carol Bernick has been named to the “Top 25 Oregon Women Super Lawyers” by Law & Politics since 2006.
* In April 2009 The AmLaw Daily blog, published by American Lawyer, named partner R. Andrew Boose “Dealmaker of the Week” for his work as lead counsel for the estate of Oscar Hammerstein II in the sale of the Broadway catalog of Rodgers & Hammerstein.
* Partner Fred Burnside was elected to The American Law Institute in 2008.
* Robert Corn-Revere, known by clients as “Mr. First Amendment,” was named one of "Washington’s Top Lawyers" in First Amendment law and Communications law by Washingtonian Magazine in 2009.
* The Daily Journal named partner Jeffrey Fisher to its annual list of the top 100 lawyers in California in 2009, recognizing him as "One of the nation's leading Supreme Court advocates."
* Partner Laura Handman received the 2007 International PEN First Amendment award from PEN USA.
* Best Lawyers, one of the oldest and most respected peer-review publications in the legal profession, named Seattle partner Brian D. Hulse as the “Best Lawyers Banking Lawyer of the Year” in Seattle for 2010.
* Lawdragon named partners Victor A. Kovner and Kelli L. Sager to its 2007 “Top 500 Leading Lawyers in America” list.
* Gary Locke, former two-term governor of Washington and most recently a partner in our Seattle office, was appointed Secretary of Commerce by President Barack Obama.
* New York Super Lawyers named partners Elizabeth McNamara and Marcia Paul to its 2007 “Top 50 Female Attorneys” list.
* Mercy Corps, one of the world’s leading relief and development organizations, recognized Davis Wright Tremaine partner Robert D. Newell with its highest honor, the 2009 Humanitarian Hero Award.
* Human Resource Executive magazine, in a list prepared by Lawdragon, named partner Mike Reiss as one of the nation’s 100 most powerful employment attorneys in 2008 and 2009.
* The National Law Journal has named partner Kelli L. Sager one of the “50 Most Influential Women Lawyers in America” every year since 2007. The Hollywood Reporter has named her one of the "Most Influential Entertainment Lawyers in America" every year since the list's inception, and one of the “Top 100 Outside Counsel Power Lawyers” in 2007 and 2008.