Akerman LLP is a leading transactions and trial law firm known for its core strengths in middle market M&A, within the financial services and real estate industries, and for a diverse Latin America practice. With more than 600 lawyers and government affairs professionals and a network of 20 offices, it is ranked among the top 100 law firms in the United States by The National Law Journal NLJ 350 (2013). Akerman also is ranked among the top 50 law firms for diversity in The American Lawyer's Diversity Scorecard (2013). We are intensely focused on innovating pragmatic, customized solutions to our clients’ most complex legal challenges. More information can be found at akerman.com or twitter.com/akerman_law.
Corporate • Recognized as a leading U.S. corporate, M&A, private equity, securities/capital markets, and securities regulation law firm. Advise public companies and private equity funds on M&A, public offerings, private equity, and venture capital investments.
Litigation • Comprised of trial lawyers in offices throughout the U.S. Recognized nationally for experience in general commercial litigation and international arbitration.
Real Estate • Nationally recognized for substantial experience in complex transactions, development and construction projects, economic development incentives, environmental matters, public-private initiatives, and litigation.
Government Affairs & Public Policy • Bi-partisan team located in Washington, D.C., New York, and Florida. Experience in appropriations, education, healthcare, tax, natural resources and environment, telecommunications, insurance, transportation and infrastructure, Native American affairs, travel and tourism, and energy.
Bankruptcy • Serve as bankruptcy counsel or as receivers in complex cases, including commercial mortgage foreclosures and many of the largest bankruptcy filings in the U.S.
Construction • Extensive U.S. and overseas experience in major construction initiatives in transportation, energy, and public infrastructure projects and in every phase of construction, from project delivery, to contract formation, and dispute resolution.
Labor & Employment • Represent employers in virtually every major industry with all aspects of labor and employment law compliance and litigation, workplace safety, immigration, and non-compete/trade secret issues.
Intellectual Property • Deep industry experience with intellectual property matters in biomedical devices, electrical engineering, information technology, telecommunications, healthcare, entertainment, and sports.
Healthcare • Strong experience in regulatory, litigation, and corporate matters. Clients include hospitals, physicians, healthcare systems, health insurers, surgery centers, medical device companies, and national pharmacy chains.
Tax • National practice, representing providers of financial services, national retailers, and technology and software companies in state and local tax planning, controversy, legislation, audit defense, and litigation.
Trusts, Estates & Family Services • Personalized strategies for estate planning, wealth and business preservation, probate, trust and guardianship administration and litigation, employee and retirement benefits, as well as experience with charitable planning, tax-exempt organizations, and family and marital law.
Honors and Awards
U.S. News - Best Lawyers 2013
• Antitrust Law (National)
• Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (National)
• Commercial Litigation (National)
• Construction Law (National)
• Corporate Law (National)
• Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (National)
• Employment Law – Management (National)
• Franchise Law (National)
• Healthcare Law (National)
• Insurance Law (National)
• International Arbitration – Commercial (National – Tier One)
• International Trade and Finance Law (National – Tier One)
• Labor Law – Management (National)
• Litigation – Antitrust (National)
• Litigation – Banking & Finance (National)
• Litigation – Bankruptcy (National – Tier One)
• Litigation – Construction (National – Tier One)
• Litigation – Intellectual Property (National)
• Litigation – Labor & Employment (National)
• Litigation – Real Estate (National – Tier One)
• Litigation – Securities (National)
• Mergers & Acquisitions Law (National)
• Private Equity Law (National)
• Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law (National)
• Real Estate Law (National)
• Securities/Capital Markets Law (National)
• Securities Regulation (National)
• Tax Law (National)
• Trusts & Estates Law (National)
• Venture Capital Law (National)
MultiCultural Law Magazine 2012
· Top 100 firm for Diversity
· Top 25 firm for Hispanic Americans
· Top 100 firm for Women