In this issue:
- California Amends CalOPPA to Require Do-Not-Track Disclosures
- California’s Social Media “Eraser” Bill Becomes Law
- California Extends Security Breach Notification Requirements to Online Account Credentials
- Breach Notification: Timing Is Everything
- Barnes & Noble Dodges Suit over PIN Pad Data Breach
- Illinois Federal Judge Dismisses Consumers’ Data Collection Suit Against ISP WideOpen West
- Excerpt from: California Amends CalOPPA to Require Do-Not-Track Disclosures:
California Governor Jerry Brown recently signed into law A.B. 370,1 which amends the California Online Privacy Protection Act2 (CalOPPA) to require certain operators of websites and other online services to disclose how they respond when a visitor’s web browser sends a “Do Not Track” signal. The bill also requires operators to disclose the data collection practices of certain third parties operating on the website or online service. Because this law affects every person or company that operates a website or online service that collects personally identifiable information from California consumers, it impacts companies beyond California’s borders. The law takes effect on January 1, 2014.
Please see full newsletter below for more information.
Firefox recommends the PDF Plugin for Mac OS X for viewing PDF documents in your browser.
We can also show you Legal Updates using the Google Viewer; however, you will need to be logged into Google Docs to view them.
Please choose one of the above to proceed!
LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.
Topics: Breach Notification Rule, CalOPPA, Data Breach, Data Protection, Disclosure Requirements, Do Not Track, Social Media
Published In: Consumer Protection Updates, Privacy Updates, Science, Computers & Technology Updates
DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.
© Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati | Attorney Advertising