In this issue:
- FTC Releases Privacy Disclosure Guidelines for Mobile Ecosystem
- California Attorney General Issues Privacy Practice Recommendations for Mobile Ecosystem
- Mobile Apps: Learning from the WhatsApp Dutch Privacy Investigation
- Caution! Social Media Can Get You into Trouble
- Into the Breach: The Executive Order on Cybersecurity
- California Supreme Court Holds Song-Beverly Act Inapplicable to Online Businesses Selling Downloadable Products
- Tenth Circuit Finds No ECPA Violation for ISP Using Third Parties to Implement Online Behavioral Advertising
- Excerpt from "California Attorney General Issues Privacy Practice Recommendations for Mobile Ecosystem":
California Attorney General Kamala Harris continues to position herself as one of the most active enforcers of consumer privacy rights. In January, the attorney general's office issued Privacy on the Go: Recommendations for the Mobile Ecosystem, a set of privacy best practices for the mobile space. The report is targeted primarily to developers of mobile applications (apps), but also includes recommendations for app platform providers, ad networks, operating system developers, and mobile carriers. The report acknowledges that the recommended privacy practices, in some respects, exceed what is required by the law, but are motivated by the goal of encouraging players in the mobile marketplace to consider privacy implications at the outset of the design process and to follow the Fair Information Practice Principles in their decision-making.
Please see full newsletter below for more information.
Firefox recommends the PDF Plugin for Mac OS X for viewing PDF documents in your browser.
We can also show you Legal Updates using the Google Viewer; however, you will need to be logged into Google Docs to view them.
Please choose one of the above to proceed!
LOADING PDF: If there are any problems, click here to download the file.
Topics: Critical Infrastructure Sectors, Cybersecurity, Data Collection, Disclosure Requirements, ECPA, Executive Orders, FTC, Mobile Apps, Mobile Devices, Personally Identifiable Information, Social Media
Published In: Antitrust & Trade Regulation Updates, Communications & Media Updates, Consumer Protection Updates, Privacy Updates, Science, Computers & Technology Updates
DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.
© Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati | Attorney Advertising