On February 26, 2021, an amendment to article 29 of Executive Decree number 42690-MGP-S, dated October 30, 2020, was published in the Official Gazette. The amendment provides the following:
- Currently, and through April 4, 2021, land borders are temporarily closed for tourists.
- As of April 5, 2021, all Costa Rican land borders will open for tourists (currently, the land borders are only open for Costa Ricans, residents, and the exceptions outlined in Decree 42690-MGP-S).
To enter the country, tourists must meet the following requirements:
- Comply with the immigration requirements for entry.
- Complete and demonstrate the health pass (“pase de salud”).
- Obtain travel insurance covering quarantine accommodation and medical expenses for an acute illness or insurance provided by the Costa Rican Social Security Administration (CCSS by its Spanish acronym).