The State of Connecticut’s Department of Economic and Community Development (“DECD”) is offering a competitive grant application process to fund multiple projects under the CT Communities Challenge Grant Program (the “Program”). The goal of the Program is to improve livability, vibrancy, convenience and appeal of communities throughout the state, and create approximately 3,000 new jobs. Applicants will be awarded grant funds anywhere between $1M and $10M per project for projects such as:
- Transit-oriented development that densifies commercial and/or residential land uses near transit hubs;
- Downtown / major hub development that improves or reuses existing property;
- Essential infrastructure that facilitates future development;
- Housing to support affordability, accessibility and local workforce;
- Mobility improvements that increase connectivity to transit and promote economic activity, including pedestrian, ADA, and bicycle improvements; and
- Public space improvements that provide amenities to the community, including open spaces, public art projects, wayfinding, and lighting and safety improvements.
Municipalities, economic development agencies and regional councils of governments are eligible to be the primary applicants for the Program. DECD encourages applicants to partner with private developers, business organizations, other institutions or each other to submit an Application.
Applicants must submit an “Intent to Apply Form,” no later than December 3, 2021, and submit a full “Grant Application” no later than January 14, 2022. Both the Intent to Apply Form and the Grant Application can be found here: CT Communities Challenge Grant Forms. Grant award announcements will be made by DECD in March/April of 2022.