On the same day we published the article My Deceased Family Member Received a COVID-19 Stimulus Check, Now What? the IRS provided guidance on how to return stimulus payments that were made under the CARES Act to deceased individuals.
If your deceased family member or relative received a paper check by mail, you should follow these steps:
- Write “Void” in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
- Mail the voided U.S.Treasury check immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
- Do not staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
- Include a note stating the reason for returning the check.
If the payment was a paper check and you have cashed it, or if the payment was a direct deposit:
- Submit a personal check, money order, etc. for the amount of the refund immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
- Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write “2020 EIP”, and the taxpayer identification number (either the social security number, or individual taxpayer recipient’s identification number) on the check.
- Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the payment.
All checks should be mailed to the location provided by the IRS based on State of Residence as follows:
|Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont
||Andover Refund Inquiry Unit
1310 Lowell St Mail
Andover, MA 01810
|Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Virginia
||Atlanta Refund Inquiry Unit
4800 Buford Hwy
Mail Stop 112
Chamblee, GA 30341
|Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas
||Austin Refund Inquiry Unit
3651 S Interregional Hwy 35
Mail Stop 6542
Austin, TX 78741
||Brookhaven Refund Inquiry Unit
5000 Corporate Ct.
Mail Stop 547
Holtsville, NY 11742
|Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
||Fresno Refund Inquiry Unit
5045 E Butler Avenue
Mail Stop B2007
Fresno, CA 93888
|Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, West Virginia
||Kansas City Refund Inquiry Unit
333 W Pershing Rd
Mail Stop 6800, N-2
Kansas City, MO 64108
|Alabama, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee
||Memphis Refund Inquiry Unit
5333 Getwell Rd Mail
Memphis, TN 38118
|District of Columbia, Idaho, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island
||Philadelphia Refund Inquiry Unit
2970 Market St
Philadelphia, PA 19104