Patent Portfolios of the Top 25 Well-Funded AV Companies

Foley & Lardner LLP
Contact

Foley & Lardner LLPThe following table lists the top 25 well-funded autonomous vehicle companies according to CrunchBase. Based on a search of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s publicly available information, the top 25 autonomous vehicle companies have the following patent assets. It should be noted that patent applications typically do not publish for 18 months after their filing date, so the number of patent assets listed here represents a snapshot of the number of patent assets owned by the company as of 18 months ago.

Rank Based on CB Score

Company

Location

Year Founded

# Patent Assets

1

Tesla

California

2003

813

2

Bolt Technology

Estonia

2013

0

3

Mobileye

Israel

1999

381

4

Hesai Technology

China

2013

0

5

Cruise

California

2013

12

6

TuSimple

California

2015

161

7

Otonomo

Israel

2015

1

8

Argo AI

Pennsylvania

2016

0

9

Nauto

California

2015

34

10

Quanergy Systems

California

2012

20

11

Innoviz Technologies

Israel

2016

37

12

Embark Technology

California

2016

0

13

Momenta

China

2016

0

14

Brain Corp

California

2009

318

15

Aeye

California

2013

42

16

Arrival

England

2015

1

17

Wheels

California

2018

0

18

Applied Intution

California

2017

0

19

Zendrive

California

2013

34

20

May Mobility

Michigan

2017

0

21

Arbe

Israel

2015

2

22

Ghost Locomotion

California

2017

0

23

Ike

California

2018

0

24

Cortica

Israel

2007

216

25

Optimus Ride

Massachusetts

2015

0

Tesla, the top ranked AV company per CrunchBase, also has the most patent assets, amounting to about 40% of the total patent assets held by the top 25 companies. About half (13) of the top 25 companies were founded in California, and 5 of the top 25 companies were founded in Israel. Of the 2,072 patent assets held by the top 25 companies, California-based companies own approximately 70% (1,434) of the patent assets, and Israel-based companies own the remaining 30% (637), with the exception of 1 patent asset owned by an England-based company. Of the 15 companies founded since 2015, only three companies have a sizeable patent portfolio:  TuSimple (161), Nauto (34), and Innoviz Technologies (37).

California and Israel-based AV companies appear to be leading the way with regard to pursuing patent protection for AV innovation. However, most entrants since 2015 ranked in the top 25 have not yet developed sizeable patent portfolios. In an effort to catchup to the top patent holders or maintain their position on this list as Tesla has, new entrants may want to consider further building out their patent portfolios.

[View Source]

DISCLAIMER: Because of the generality of this update, the information provided herein may not be applicable in all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based on particular situations.

© Foley & Lardner LLP | Attorney Advertising

Written by:

Foley & Lardner LLP
Contact
more
less

Foley & Lardner LLP on:

Reporters on Deadline

"My best business intelligence, in one easy email…"

Your first step to building a free, personalized, morning email brief covering pertinent authors and topics on JD Supra:
*By using the service, you signify your acceptance of JD Supra's Privacy Policy.
Custom Email Digest
- hide
- hide

This website uses cookies to improve user experience, track anonymous site usage, store authorization tokens and permit sharing on social media networks. By continuing to browse this website you accept the use of cookies. Click here to read more about how we use cookies.