On May 26, 2023, the U.S. Department of State announced the delay of the implementation of the final rule raising nonimmigrant visa (NIV) application processing fees and the fee for a Border Crossing Card (BCC) for Mexican citizens age fifteen and older. The effective date has been delayed from May 30, 2023, to June 17, 2023.
As Ogletree Deakins has previously summarized, the application fee changes are as follows:
- The processing fee for non-petition-based NIVs, except for the E visa category, will increase 15.6 percent, from $160 to $185.
- The processing fee for H, L, O, P, Q, and R category NIVs will increase 7.9 percent, from $190 to $205.
- The fee for E visas will increase 53.7 percent, from $205 to $315.
- The BCC processing fee for Mexican citizens (age fifteen and older) will increase 15.6 percent, from $160 to $185.
- The fee for the J-1 exchange visitor waiver of the two-year residency requirement will be maintained at $120.