Copyright Safe Harbors: Establishing Protection Against Infringement Claims
Obviousness-Type Double Patenting May Exist When There Is Neither Common Ownership nor Common Inventorship -
Addressing an obviousness-type double patenting rejection, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit...more
Following the Second Circuit’s remand order last year on appeal of an initial grant of summary judgment for YouTube, the Southern District of New York has revisited the issues in Viacom’s copyright infringement suit and again...more
On April 18, 2013, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York again held that YouTube is subject to the safe harbor provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act as an internet service provider despite...more
*News from the Bench:
- First Sale Doctrine Applies To Copyrighted Works Lawfully Made Abroad.
- Dissenting Federal Circuit Judges Abide By The Akamai Standard.
- More On Joint Infringement and The Akamai...more
Courts considering the perplexing copyright questions created by the Internet have been remarkably consistent in one area. A large body of case law provides significant protections to online service providers and places...more
In This Issue:
- Lenz v. Universal Music Corporation, USDC N.D. California, January 24, 2013.
District court denies parties’ motions for cross summary judgment on plaintiff's claim of misrepresentation under the...more
In This Issue:
- Written Contracts and the Statute of Limitations...Page 1
- Website Owners: Who is Liable for Third Party Postings on Your Website?...Page 2
- Business Tort Brings Sanctions...Page 3
A recent Fairfax County defamation case involving a consumer’s scathing postings against a contractor on Yelp and Angie’s List raises the issue as to who can be held liable for postings made by third parties.
Fenwick & West Litigation partner Andrew Bridges provides a brief overview of the Safe Harbor provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The Safe Harbor provisions are designed to protect service providers...more
JD Supra gets your content noticed, increases your visibility and makes your marketing efforts hassle free...
Learn More or Schedule a demo